Period of Discernment
To provide people undertaking a Period of Discernment with an experience of theological education.
People within the Uniting Church in Australia may register with their Presbytery to undertake a Period of Discernment (POD). This is a process designed to help you discern three learnings in particular:
- What are you learning about God, church, faith, ministry and mission?
- What are you learning about yourself in terms of character, passion and skills?
- Through this, where do you believe God might be leading you?
The POD is generally taken by people who’d like to spend time discerning where God is leading them. Though the POD process is overseen by your Presbytery, Trinity College Queensland offers the following resources to support your discernment process.
- If you’re not testing a call to ordination you might like to enroll in two of our short courses [hyperlink to short courses page]. These courses cover topics like Preaching, Old Testament, New Testament, Theology, and Christian Leadership. You can sit them online, as a five week face-to-face evening course, or as a one-day intensive.
- If you’re testing a call to ordination, you can choose to enroll in a unit of theological study that contributes to an accredited degree (e.g. Diploma of Ministry, Bachelor of Ministry). Work with your POD mentor to identify the best unit for your POD. A list of available units can be found here. [hyperlink to undergraduate and postgraduate courses page].