NT002-812 – The Early New Testament Church
12 Credit Points (CPS)
On successful completion of this unit, students will
Know and understand
Demonstrate Advanced knowledge and understanding of the contents, themes and theology of the Book of Acts and of major New Testament Epistles.
Be able to
- Critically analyse:
a) the history, themes, theology and narrative presented in the Book of Acts; and
b) the contents, themes and theology of selected New Testament Epistles
2. key developments and emerging patterns in the beginnings and expansion of the early church
3. Evidence-based perspectives on major themes and theology of the Book of Acts and of selected New Testament Epistles
Be in a position to
Apply knowledge and Critical thinking skills and perspectives from The Early New Testament Church to contemporary Christian living and ministry contexts.
The beginnings and expansion of the church as reflected in the New Testament documents, with special attention to the Acts of the Apostles. Topics to be covered include:
- The Jerusalem church
- Early Christian preaching
- Stephen and the Hellenists
- The Pauline mission and churches
- The Council of Jerusalem
- Schism, heresy and external threat in the early church.
The main issues confronted in and the teaching of at least seven major New Testament epistles.