What support is available?

Trinity offers Study Skills sessions and library support at the commencement of every semester. Individual support is available in a range of academic areas including essay writing, proper referencing, study skills and time management, accessing library resources, and academic English. To access these services please contact the Manager of Student Services or phone 07 3377 9961.

Raymont Residential College is located on the same site as Trinity College Queensland. Raymont offers all-inclusive student accommodation—room, meals, utilities, personal and academic support.‎ For those who prefer to cook for themselves, other forms of accommodation can be sought through student accommodation websites such as Unilodgers

Health and welfare services cover a wide range of supports for issues including those related to physical health (i.e. medical), disability, financial, and tenancy.

  • Non-urgent health advice (Qld Health) – Phone: 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84). If in an emergency dial 000
  • Disability and access – If a disability is affecting your capacity to study or participate in college life, contact our Registrar. Trinity will take all reasonable measures to ensure students with a disability are included in college life. Trinity’s campus is fitted with a lift, ramps and disability facilities.
  • Financial resources – Trinity does not offer specific financial services, however, there are great online resources for this.

Ecstra Online Learning Resourcesprovides a list of useful links to free learning and paid services

ABC Money – articles on everyday money issues

Money Smart – Government website offering free and paid services

Money Minded – Commercial website offering budgeting advices

  • Tenancy – Students who require advice about tenancy/rental matters are recommended to contact Tenants Queensland who seek to represent the concerns of all Queensland tenants who live in rental accommodation, including caravan park and boarding house residents.

While staff at the college cannot provide legal advice, you may be referred to services in the community can help you with a legal matter, such as traffic incidents, domestic violence matters, family law matters, immigration, and consumer rights. A great resource to find legal assistance is Legal Aid Queensland www.legalaid.qld.gov.au

Counselling can help you with a range of issues including mental health and emotional wellbeing, loss and grief, relationship issues, and life direction. Trinity’s College Chaplain is on site every Tuesday and is available for consult at other times by appointment. Confidential phone calls can be also be made to Dr Rev Helen Dick 07 3377 9818.

Support services are available for students or staff who experience Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment (SASH) and Domestic Family Violence.
Trinity’s SASH Officer is Belinda Hoadley and you can contact her by either email (Belinda.Hoadley@trinity.qld.edu.au) or phone 3377 9960

  • 1800RESPECT (Ph: 1800 737 732) – National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service


  • Rape & Domestic Violence Services Australia


  • Sexual Assault Counselling Australia 1800 211 028
  • Lifeline – 24/7 Crisis Support – 13 11 14
  • National Translating and Interpreting Services tisnational.gov.au – This enables non-English speakers to independently access services and information through an interpreter. Services include:

Immediate phone interpreting (131 450).

Pre-booked phone interpreting

On-site interpreting and

Telehealth video interpreting service

The student advocacy service helps students understand policy and procedures and can assist with making appeals, grievances and complaints. Please contact the Manager of Student Services or phone 07 3377 9961.

Emergency contacts

Police / Fire / Ambulance – 000
If you need police, fire or ambulance in an emergency, call Triple Zero (000). Always call Triple Zero (000) in situations where a life is in danger, a crime is taking place, or in time critical situations.