Provides students who are already graduates with an opportunity to undertake study at an advanced level of selected units in the teaching departments of Bible and Languages, Christian Thought and History and Ministry and Practice. It will serve either as an introduction to the study of Theology and Ministry by allowing students to sample units from a range of disciplines or as a means of developing a subject specialisation by allowing students to select units from one or two disciplines.
- Ability to interpret and critically evaluate the biblical deposit, especially those books which have played a crucial role in the development of the Christian tradition, with a comprehensive knowledge of their original context and their major themes and ideas.
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of and ability to exegete biblical texts in their original language(s).
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the major theological tenets of the Christian faith which underpin any coherent theological world view and philosophy of ministry.
- Skills in at least one area of pastoral ministry.
- Comprehensive and critical understanding of the historical conditions under which theological worldviews have developed and are being shaped today.
- Openness to the tradition of published scholarship and the diversity of viewpoints which characterise that scholarship in the various fields of the discipline of theology as essential to understanding and respecting the discipline and as an integral part of the preparation for communicating the Christian tradition and contributing to the on-going enterprise of the community of scholars in the articulation and actualisation of the Christian faith.
Primary Course Discipline
24 credit points from any foundational units listed below
- OT001-712 Old Testament Foundations
- OT002-712 Old Testament Prophets and Writings
- NT001-712 Jesus and the Gospels
- NT002-712 The Early New Testament Church
- CH001-712 Christianity in History to 1550
- CH002-712 Christianity in History from 1550
- PE010-712 Christian Worldview
- PE004-712 Christian Ethics
- PC064-712 Christian Spirituality
- PC114-706 Christian Leadership (6cps)
- PC113-706 Christian Disciple-Making (6cps)
- PC109-706 Engaging in Word Based Ministries (6cps)
- EM059-712 Mission Leadership Foundations
- EM024-712 Principles of Evangelism
- EM202-712 Evangelism & Missiology in Context (Thailand Mission Trip)
- EM064-706 Ministry Foundations (6cps)
- DM010-712 Youth Ministry
24 credit points from any level 8 units listed below
- TH101-812 The Knowledge and Doctrine of God
- TH102-812 Creation and the fall, the Person and Work of Christ
- TH003-812 The Doctrines of Grace and Eschatology
- TH004-812 Church, Sacraments and Ministry
- OT020-812 The Psalter
- OTxxx-812 OT Book (TBC)
- OTxxx-812 OT Book (TBC)
- OT010-812 Former Prophets
- NT026-812 Romans
- NT016-812 The Fourth Gospel
- NT008-812 The Synoptic Gospels
- NT020-812 The General Epistles
- PC003-812 Pastoral Skills and Methods
- PC071-812 Missional Leadership in the 21st Century
- EM023-812 Missional Spirituality
- EM044-812 Missional Hermeneutics
- EM045-812 Cultural Exegesis
- LA005-612 New Testament Greek A*
- LA006-612 New Testament Greek B*
Please note that some units are offered in alternate years – check timetables or consult with Registrar
* Languages are exempt from level requirements
- Completed 3 year bachelor degree or equivalent
Language Qualifications for NESB
- IELTS 7.0 overall with a minimum of 7.0 in reading and writing, and 6.5 in listening and speaking OR 10 years in Australia with English being the language primarily spoken both at home and work