NT008-612 – The Synoptic Gospels
12 Credit Points (CPS)
On successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
1. Demonstrate Developing knowledge and understanding of the contents, themes and character of the Synoptic Gospels in the English text
B. Be able to
1. Analyse the ‘introductory’ issues in understanding the Synoptic Gospels
2. Reflect Critically on the themes and theological teachings of the Synoptic Gospels
3. Exegete selected passages of the English text of the Synoptic Gospels
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying the teaching of the Synoptic Gospels to contemporary Christian living and ministry practice
Candidates are required to learn to employ exegetical methods of modern critical scholarship. Candidates may not take any unit in which they repeat material completed in another unit.
- The theology and critical issues in modern study of the Gospel chosen, with the capacity to review and evaluate significant interpretive perspectives.
- Exegesis of the English text of Luke 14–24 (or a comparable block of chapters from a Synoptic Gospel).