12 Credit Points (CPS)
On successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
1. Demonstrate Advanced knowledge and understanding of the Gospel of John in the English text.
B. Be able to
1. Examine the ‘introductory’ issues in understanding the Gospel of John
2. Evaluate alternative interpretations on the themes and theological teachings of the Gospel of John
3. Exegete selected passages of the English text of the Gospel of John
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying the teaching of the Gospel of John to contemporary Christian living and ministry practice
Candidates are required to learn and employ exegetical methods of modern critical scholarship.
- The theology of the Fourth Gospel, including such topics as: Christology; pneumatology; the church; eschatology; salvation/life/judgement; sacraments; faith and signs.
- The critical issues in the Fourth Gospel, such as: authorship; dating; provenance; formation of and historical background to the gospel; John and the synoptic gospels and the gospel tradition.
- Exegesis of the English text of John 1–8, 14–16 (or a comparable block of chapters)