12 Credit Points (CPS)
On successful completion of this unit, students will
A. Know and understand
1. Demonstrate Developing knowledge and understanding of the contents, themes and character of the Former Prophets in the Hebrew text.
B. Be able to
1. Analyse the ‘introductory’ issues in understanding the Former Prophets
2. Reflect Critically on the themes and theological teachings of the Former Prophets
3. Translate and Exegete selected chapters of the Hebrew text of Former Prophets
C. Be in a position to
1. Applying the teaching of the Former Prophets to contemporary Christian living and ministry practice
- The theology of the Former Prophets, with special reference to either (a) Joshua and Judges, or (b) 1 & 2 Samuel, or (c) 1 & 2 Kings, including such motifs as prophecy, temple, kingship, the people of God, the Ark of the Covenant, Deuteronomistic History.
- Exegesis of the English text of 1 Samuel 1–12; 2 Samuel 5–7, 15–18 (or comparable passages), drawn from either (a) Joshua & Judges, or (b) 1 & 2 Samuel, or (c) 1 & 2 Kings.